- What are RSS Feeds?
- Why RSS?
- What is an RSS Reader and where can I get a FREE one?
- How do I subscribe to Lee Myles (or any) RSS Feed?
What are RSS Feeds:
We are going to keep it straight and simple. RSS stands for “Really Simple Syndication” is a method of sharing headlines, news and other information that is fast, simple and most important.. SPAM FREE. RSS feeds can be subscribed to and read via desktop software run on your computer or web based services run from your browser. You can also unsubscribe from them with a click of a button. Many RSS Readers are FREE. RSS feeds are also known as NEWS FEEDS. RSS news feeds are able to to distribute freshly updated news and information across the Internet, and to PC desktops all over the world pretty much instantly. For a more detailed introduction to RSS go here.
RSS is a very popular method of keeping track of information you are interested in for a number of reasons. Here are couple:
- RSS news feeds are automatically updated in your RSS news reader the instant the source of the feed adds new information. In other words the information you receive is always fresh and up to date and you know it the instantrot it is updated because your news reader will check for updated information everytime you activate it and notify if anything is new.
- RSS feeds eliminate SPAM. When you subscribe to an RSS feed you are not required to provide your email address or any other personal information for that matter and unsubscribing from an RSS feed you are no longer interested in is as easy as clicking a button.
What is an RSS Reader and where do I get one:
An RSS reader is basically an application (either web based or computer based) that enables you to subscribe to and from RSS feeds and read RSS feeds.
- Browser based RSS Readers: Typically these are services that allow you to create a free account and use their browser based reader to subscribe to RSS feeds. The only catch with free readers is many of them require you to subscribe to their feed in order to use their service and also collect your email address. So while you won’t get spam from the RSS feeds themselves you may get spammed from the provider of the “free” service and anyone they share your email address with.
- PC Based RSS Readers: These are actual software programs that you own. They install on your computer that typically run on your desktop allowing you to subscribe to the feeds you are interesed in. When you log onto the net and activate the program, it will retrieve any new updates to the RSS feeds you have previously used it to subscribe to. You can also unsubscribe to any feeds that no longer interest you. There are many different types of PC based RSS readers available, some are FREE and others cost money. Our FREE RSS Reader is full featured and robust enough for veterans, yet simple enough for the RSS newbie to catch on to quickly and easily. There is no spyware in it (some do have spyware) and you don’t need to give us your email address to download it either. Our feeds even come pre-installed in it. You can learn all about our FREE RSS Reader and download it HERE.
How do I subscribe to the Lee Myles (or any other) RSS feed:
Step 1: You need an RSS Reader. If you download and install ours the feeds are already present and there is a great built in help system that will teach you how to add more feeds and/or podcasts and keep everything organized neatly. By the way, a Podcast is basically streaming media. You can learn more about it and how our FREE Reader works with it here.
NOTE: The Lee Myles Automotive RSS feed contains AutoCare articles, Current Industry News, Service Center Locations and will notify you of any Web Site Updates and Specials we run, plus much more. It is being aggressively developed and will be updated regularly so enjoy! Oh yes, and…